Monday, February 9, 2015

Work Life - Entry #6 Lesson 4

     I graduated high school in 2002. I started college in 2004 when I lost my job and the job search looked hopeless. I tried to be a full time student. I worked full time. I couldn't afford to continue to go to school. I also had a job that wouldn't work with my schedule. I ended up getting pregnant when I was 20 and had my son at the age of 21. I became a single parent immediately. There was no way that I could go to school due to working 70-80 hours a week and having a child.
     I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found a job in 2006 for $12 an hour. By 2011, I was making $14 an hour. But I couldn't rise above that pay grade due to my education I couldn't advance. I then lost my job and was unemployed for 5 months. I found a part time job for $12 an hour. I want this degree to make my dreams come true.
     I want to advance in the work field. I also want to expand my business and eventually fully work for myself. Owning your own business but working for someone else confuses people. They don’t think my business is thriving due to working for someone else. I have to explain that we have to shut down for the winter to weatherize. Our business is just to offset competition costs at the moment. We are not ready to quit our jobs and do it full time.

     When we are ready to do it full time, I hope to have a degree and use it to expand the business. It is nice having a business partner that is also your partner. He is with me in love, family, and business. I trust him completely and it would be hard to trust someone I didn't trust in love. I don’t think I could ever be partners with a friend or family member again. Been there, done that!

No comments:

Post a Comment