Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Valentine's Party - Entry #9 Lesson 4

     Today, I celebrated Valentine’s Day with my 9 year old son at his class party. I surprised him with a box of chocolates. We ate a couple and they were not good at all. I hope he knows it is the thought that counts!
     He was so sad the day before because the girl he liked said she had a boyfriend already. He was in tears and claimed that his “life was ruined”. This was his first heartbreak. I tried to comfort him. I told him he was only 9 and there would be other girls that would love to be his boyfriend. Even though at 9 years old, the thought of him having a girlfriend terrifies me.
     We had so much fun at the party. We played many games. He made a monstrous ice cream sundae. Loaded full of chocolate fudge, fruit, and a very large cookie. As soon as I saw his sugar concoction I knew it was trouble. Half way through the sundae, I heard “my belly hurts!”
     He had passed out his valentine cards, gave his teacher her chocolates, and had a few laughs with his friends. I took pictures and watched him grow into a young man. No longer was he the little shy boy that thought that girls had cooties. He was daydreaming of having a girlfriend. Buying a girl a diamond ring. Wanting to marry this girl that wasn't available.

     A part of me thought I was losing my baby boy. I now had a kid that is almost a double digit in age. It seems like I have seen 10 years go by in a short moment. I would do anything to shrink him back to that shy little boy that called me “mommy” and snuggled up to me. I guess I will settle for him talking to me about his girl problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment